About the Guild
Surrey Guild of Craftsmen members are selected professional craftsmen and designer makers of contemporary and traditional applied arts. Their work is distinguished by fine craftsmanship and innovative design.
The Guild aims to support its members and to raise public awareness of the quality and diversity of the work created by local designer makers. This is done through a programme of exhibitions and craft events at venues around the county and beyond, where members display and sell their work. Membership of the Guild offers opportunities for members to exchange ideas, partner each other in independent exhibitions and open studios, and offer feedback, encouragement and critical appraisal. New members are always welcome, and application procedures can be found below.
Surrey Guild Craft Gallery
Surrey Guild of Craftsmen members also run the Surrey Guild Craft Gallery in Milford, Surrey. The Gallery is run on a co-operative basis, and a wide variety of individual members’ work can be seen and purchased there. The Gallery is also an exhibition venue, a place where makers and their customers can meet to discuss commissions, and the Guild’s permanent home.
Application and Selection
The selection process
Membership assessments are carried out at intervals throughout the year.
Assessments dates for 2018
- February 19th
- April 21st – AGM
- June 15th
- September 5th
- November 21st
*Applicants must pass all three assessment criteria, which are:
- Excellence in craftsmanship
- Good aesthetic design
The Guild seeks as members craftspeople who will make a positive contribution to the running of the Guild. Successful applicants will be offered probationary membership for one year, after which their membership will be confirmed or may be withdrawn.
Application form and assessment fee
- Please complete and submit the application form in BLACK ink (pdf - please download and print or annotate)
- Your application must arrive at least three weeks before the assessment date (see dates above)
- Your work must be submitted at least one week before the assessment date
- You will need to print and complete the ‘Checklist and Notes for Applicants’ form and include it with your submission (pdf - please download and print or annotate).
Please send the completed application form with your cheque for £20, made payable to Surrey Guild of Craftsmen, to Mavis Walker, Surrey Guild Craft Gallery, 1 Moushill Lane, Milford, Surrey GU8 5BH. **It is important to mark your envelope 'GUILD MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION'**.
You should also email Linda Scott-Cerins at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know you are applying.
Your assessment fee of £20 is not refundable, but counts towards the annual membership subscription for successful applicants.
The assessment committee will need to see:
- Four to six examples of exhibition standard (that is, top quality) work. Photographs are not sufficient.
- A note of the usual retail prices for the items you submit.
- Your CV and/or maker’s statement.
- The completed ‘Checklist and notes for applicants’.
- You may submit information and/or pictures in addition to the above as part of your application if you wish.
- Your submission must reach our Milford Gallery at least one week prior to assessment.
You will not be present in person at the assessment. Please note that your assessment may be rejected if all of the required items are not included in your submission. Please download, read and complete the application documentation carefully.
You will be advised of the outcome of your application as soon as possible after your assessment, usually within a few days. You will usually be able to collect your work from the Gallery on the day following your assessment.
Subscription rates 2016-2017
- Surrey Guild of Craftsmen £75 pa
- Surrey Guild Craft Gallery £320 pa + 15% commission on sales over £1,000 in any year. Members who sell through the Gallery also help run it - currently working 11 days each year.
Surrey Guild of Craftsmen exhibitions
Surrey Guild of Craftsmen members co-ordinate a number of external events throughout the year. Participation costs vary and are confirmed as opportunities are presented.